Welcome to our photo series Eater Scenes, where Eater photographers visit some of the city's great
restaurants racetracks to capture them at a certain, and very specific, point in the day. Today, it's the Churchill Downs red carpet before the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby.
- Grammy Award-winning country music singer Miranda Lambert was accompanied by a big bottle of champagne.
- Joey Fatone fashioned a suit out of a tablecloth from a country kitchen.
- There's no mistaking Matt Harris of A&E's "Storage Wars."
- First Lady Jane Beshear accessorized with Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear.
- We looked closer, but it wasn't easy to trace the tracks of Smokey Robinson's tears...
- Star Jones.
- Walkers of the red carpet were handed a drink from Grey Goose to refresh as they went to their seats.
Racehorses are like celebrities, both being relative terms. You've got horses in $5,000 maiden claimers (meaning they've never won a race and can be bought for $5,000) and you've got ponies racing in the $2 million Kentucky Derby (meaning that once they're racing careers are over, they'll earn more for having nasty-violent barn sex than you'll ever make). And there are celebrities who were early cast-offs in a reality show eight years ago and there are celebs like the Queen of England, who attended the 2007 Kentucky Derby. This year, she didn't come. These photographs—with helpful captions!—show celebs who walked the red carpet around noon at Kentucky Derby 2013. (For their trouble, the celebs received a cool Grey Goose beverage at the carpet's end; you get nothing for persevering through the photos.)
- The National Geographic Channel's Chris Fischer with Eater Louisville launch party guest and Louisville mayor, his brother Greg.
- Jane Seymour and red.
- Gary "The Glove" Payton retired after the 2007 NBA season but he still can't slow down.
- Country singer Martina McBride has been nominated for Grammys, but never won one. That is why her picture is here while Miranda Lambert got top billing.
- "Waiting for Superman" star Michelle Rhee and her husband, retired NBA and current mayor of Sacramento, Kevin Johnson.
- From the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch," Wild Bill Wichrowski brought his wild locks.
- Former NBA player and coach Avery Johnson, honestly, looked damn good.
- Not author Nora Roberts.
- Author Nora Roberts.
- Olympic skier Bode Miller is a Derby regular.
- An unidentified actress from a show that may be airing on the same network that's broadcasting Derby.
- Medal of Honor winner Dakota Meyer is from Kentucky.
·All Kentucky Derby 2013 coverage [~ELOU~]
[Photos: Jim Myrick]